March 12, 2014
Health & Mental Health
Meeting Documents click here
Next Task Force Meeting
Wednesday, March 19 @ 2:30 - 3:30 pm
MASW Headquarters & Teleconference
606 E. Capitol Avenue, Jefferson City, MO
contact: Jeanette Mott Oxford
Expansion of Medicaid to Missourians with incomes of 138% of the Federal Poverty Level or less is MASW's current # 1 public policy priority. In addition to the income eligibility guidelines adjustment, we would like to see better access to high quality care. Toward that end, members of the MASW Health/Mental Health Task Force collaborated during recent months in making a list of reforms needed in the Medicaid system. MASW Executive Director Jeanette Mott Oxford testified before the Senate Interim Committee on Medicaid Transformation and Reform on Oct. 2 and shared our list in the testimony below. In addition to the testimony, each committee member also received a print out of the "living wage" amounts needed for families of various sizes in their home county. Thanks to each task force member who contributed an idea.
For information about the living wage in all Missouri counties, see:
Politicians and talk show pundits are claiming a study in Oregon proves that Medicaid is not effective in improving health outcomes. Not so! Read the facts here: OR Medicaid Experiment Fact Sheet
We are still focusing on Medicaid Expansion. Check out this article that explains what effects Missouri will incur by NOT expanding Medicaid.
The Health and Mental Health Task Force promotes quality, affordable health care, including comprehensive mental health services, for all Missourians, supports adequate funding for health care programs, and works with coalition partners to ensure the voice of the consumer is heard in the public policy process.
Goals for 2013
- Continue to educate the public of the need for a comprehensive system of a National Health Care that provides Quality, Affordable Health Care for all Americans.
- Work for the full implementation of the Affordable Care Act at the state level, to ensure Quality, Affordable Health Care for all Missourians.
- Promote reform of the health insurance system, to end discrimination on the basis of health status, employment, gender, or age.
- Support full funding and implementation of vital programs, such as Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
- Work to fully implement the federal Mental Health Parity Law.
Missouri Health Advocacy Alliance
New Website to Answer Questions about
Affordable Care Act
MASW is a founding member of The Alliance
The Health & Mental Health Task Force is currently seeking a new Chair. If you are interested in serving, please contact us.